1. Van den Bosch F, Coates L. Clinical management of psoriatic arthritis. Lancet. 2018 Jun 2; 391(10136):2285–2294.
2. Theander E, Husmark T, Alenius GM, Larsson PT, Teleman A, Geijer M, et al. Early psoriatic arthritis: short symptom duration, male gender and preserved physical functioning at presentation predict favourable outcome at 5-year follow-up. Results from the Swedish Early Psoriatic Arthritis Register (SwePsA). Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2014 Feb; 73(2):407–413.
3. Taylor W, Gladman D, Helliwell P, Marchesoni A, Mease P, Mielants H, et al. Classification criteria for psoriatic arthritis: development of new criteria from a large international study. Arthritis and rheumatism. 2006 Aug; 54(8):2665–2673.
4. van den Berg R, van Gaalen F, van der Helm-van Mil A, Huizinga T, van der Heijde D. Performance of classification criteria for peripheral spondyloarthritis and psoriatic arthritis in the Leiden Early Arthritis cohort. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2012 Aug; 71(8):1366–1369.
5. Veale DJ, Fearon U. The pathogenesis of psoriatic arthritis. Lancet. 2018 Jun 2; 391(10136):2273–2284.
6. Cretu D, Gao L, Liang K, Soosaipillai A, Diamandis EP, Chandran V. Differentiating Psoriatic Arthritis From Psoriasis Without Psoriatic Arthritis Using Novel Serum Biomarkers. Arthritis care & research. 2018 Mar; 70(3):454–461.
7. Abji F, Pollock RA, Liang K, Chandran V, Gladman DD. Brief Report: CXCL10 Is a Possible Biomarker for the Development of Psoriatic Arthritis Among Patients With Psoriasis. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2016 Dec; 68(12):2911–2916.
8. Mathew AJ, Bird P, Gupta A, George R, Danda D. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of feet demonstrates subclinical inflammatory joint disease in cutaneous psoriasis patients without clinical arthritis. Clinical rheumatology. 2018 Feb; 37(2):383–388.
9. Schett G, Lories RJ, D'Agostino MA, Elewaut D, Kirkham B, Soriano ER, et al. Enthesitis: from pathophysiology to treatment. Nature reviews Rheumatology. 2017 Nov 21; 13(12):731–741.
10. Hsieh J, Kadavath S, Efthimiou P. Can traumatic injury trigger psoriatic arthritis? A review of the literature. Clinical rheumatology. 2014 May; 33(5):601–608.
11. Thorarensen SM, Lu N, Ogdie A, Gelfand JM, Choi HK, Love TJ. Physical trauma recorded in primary care is associated with the onset of psoriatic arthritis among patients with psoriasis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017 Mar; 76(3):521–525.
12. Coates LC, Moverley AR, McParland L, Brown S, Navarro-Coy N, O'Dwyer JL, et al. Effect of tight control of inflammation in early psoriatic arthritis (TICOPA): a UK multicentre, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2015 Dec 19; 386(10012):2489–2498.
13. Coates LC, Mahmood F, Emery P, Conaghan PG, Helliwell PS. The dynamics of response as measured by multiple composite outcome tools in the TIght COntrol of inflammation in early Psoriatic Arthritis (TICOPA) trial. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017 Oct; 76(10):1688–1692.
14. Helliwell PS, Waxman R. Modification of the Psoriatic Arthritis Disease Activity Score (PASDAS). Ann Rheum Dis. 2018 Mar; 77(3):467–468.
15. Smolen JS, Schols M, Braun J, Dougados M, FitzGerald O, Gladman DD, et al. Treating axial spondyloarthritis and peripheral spondyloarthritis, especially psoriatic arthritis, to target: 2017 update of recommendations by an international task force. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017 Jul 06.
16. Smolen JS, Schoels M, Aletaha D. Disease activity and response assessment in psoriatic arthritis using the Disease Activity index for PSoriatic Arthritis (DAPSA). A brief review. Clinical and experimental rheumatology. 2015 Sep–Oct; 33(5 Suppl 93):S48–50.
17. Cauli A, Gladman DD, Mathieu A, Olivieri I, Porru G, Tak PP, et al. Physician's Global Assessment in Psoriatic Arthritis: A Multicenter GRAPPA Study. The Journal of rheumatology. 2018 Jun 15.
18. Mease P, Strand V, Gladman D. Functional impairment measurement in psoriatic arthritis: Importance and challenges. Seminars in arthritis and rheumatism. 2018 May 23.
19. Mease PJ, Kavanaugh A, Coates LC, McInnes IB, Hojnik M, Zhang Y, et al. Prediction and benefits of minimal disease activity in patients with psoriatic arthritis and active skin disease in the ADEPT trial. RMD open. 2017; 3(1):e000415.
20. Coates LC, Fransen J, Helliwell PS. Defining minimal disease activity in psoriatic arthritis: a proposed objective target for treatment. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2010 Jan; 69(1):48–53.
21. Behrens F, Koehm M, Schwaneck EC, Schmalzing M, Gnann H, Greger G, et al. Minimal disease activity is a stable measure of therapeutic response in psoriatic arthritis patients receiving treatment with adalimumab. Rheumatology. 2018 Jul 13.
22. Mease PJ, Karki C, Liu M, Kavanaugh A, Ritchlin CT, Huynh DH, et al. Baseline patient characteristics associated with response to biologic therapy in patients with psoriatic arthritis enrolled in the Corrona Psoriatic Arthritis/Spondyloarthritis Registry. RMD open. 2018; 4(1):e000638.
23. Rahman P, Zummer M, Bessette L, Baer P, Haraoui B, Chow A, et al. Real-world validation of the minimal disease activity index in psoriatic arthritis: an analysis from a prospective, observational, biological treatment registry. BMJ open. 2017 Aug 30; 7(8):e016619.
24. Canzoni M, Piga M, Zabotti A, Scire CA, Carrara G, Olivieri I, et al. Clinical and ultrasonographic predictors for achieving minimal disease activity in patients with psoriatic arthritis: the UPSTREAM (Ultrasound in PSoriatic arthritis TREAtMent) prospective observational study protocol. BMJ open. 2018 Jul 10; 8(7):e021942.
25. Miyagawa I, Nakayamada S, Nakano K, Kubo S, Iwata S, Miyazaki Y, et al. Precision medicine using different biological DMARDs based on characteristic phenotypes of peripheral T helper cells in psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatology. 2018 Apr 2.
26. Al-Mossawi H, Coates LC. Personalized medicine – a new reality in psoriatic arthritis? Nature reviews Rheumatology. 2018 Jul 10.
27. Coates LC, Kavanaugh A, Mease PJ, Soriano ER, Laura Acosta-Felquer M, Armstrong AW, et al. Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis 2015 Treatment Recommendations for Psoriatic Arthritis. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2016 May; 68(5):1060–1071.
28. Gossec L, Baraliakos X, Kerschbaumer A, de Wit M, McInnes I, Dougados M, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of psoriatic arthritis with pharmacological therapies: 2019 update. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2020 Jun; 79(6):700–712.
29. Singh JA, Guyatt G, Ogdie A, Gladman DD, Deal C, Deodhar A, et al. Special Article: 2018 American College of Rheumatology/National Psoriasis Foundation Guideline for the Treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis. Arthritis care & research. 2019 Jan; 71(1):2–29.
30. Gladman DD, Thavaneswaran A, Chandran V, Cook RJ. Do patients with psoriatic arthritis who present early fare better than those presenting later in the disease? Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2011 Dec; 70(12):2152–2154.
31. Haroon M, Gallagher P, FitzGerald O. Diagnostic delay of more than 6 months contributes to poor radiographic and functional outcome in psoriatic arthritis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2015 Jun; 74(6):1045–1050.
32. Holland R, Davis A, Green A, Nightingale A, Charlton R, Cullen E, et al. FRI0514 Psoriatic arthritis is associated with a diagnostic delay and worse outcome at three months when compared to rheumatoid arthritis: results from the UK national audit for inflammatory arthritis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017; 76 (Suppl 2).
33. Eder L, Haddad A, Rosen CF, Lee KA, Chandran V, Cook R, et al. The Incidence and Risk Factors for Psoriatic Arthritis in Patients With Psoriasis: A Prospective Cohort Study. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2016 Apr; 68(4):915–923.
34. Coates LC, Savage LJ, Chinoy H, Laws PM, Lovell CR, Korendowych E, et al. Assessment of two screening tools to identify psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology : JEADV. 2018 Mar 26.
35. Karreman MC, Weel A, van der Ven M, Vis M, Tchetverikov I, Nijsten TEC, et al. Performance of screening tools for psoriatic arthritis: a cross-sectional study in primary care. Rheumatology. 2017 Apr 1; 56(4):597–602.
36. Ibrahim GH, Buch MH, Lawson C, Waxman R, Helliwell PS. Evaluation of an existing screening tool for psoriatic arthritis in people with psoriasis and the development of a new instrument: the Psoriasis Epidemiology Screening Tool (PEST) questionnaire. Clinical and experimental rheumatology. 2009 May–Jun; 27(3):469–474.
37. Gossec L, Coates LC, de Wit M, Kavanaugh A, Ramiro S, Mease PJ, et al. Management of psoriatic arthritis in 2016: a comparison of EULAR and GRAPPA recommendations. Nature reviews Rheumatology. 2016 Dec; 12(12):743–750.
38. Mease PJ, Genovese MC, Greenwald MW, Ritchlin CT, Beaulieu AD, Deodhar A, et al. Brodalumab, an anti-IL17RA monoclonal antibody, in psoriatic arthritis. The New England journal of medicine. 2014 Jun 12; 370(24):2295–2306.
39. Glatt S, Baeten D, Baker T, Griffiths M, Ionescu L, Lawson ADG, et al. Dual IL-17A and IL-17F neutralisation by bimekizumab in psoriatic arthritis: evidence from preclinical experiments and a randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial that IL-17F contributes to human chronic tissue inflammation. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2018 Apr; 77(4):523–532.
40. Maroof A, Okoye R, Smallie T, Baeten D, Archer S, Simpson C, et al. Bimekizumab dual inhibition of IL-17A and IL-17F provides evidence of IL-17F contribution to chronic inflammation in disease-relevant cells. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017; Volume 76, supplement 2:213.
41. Mease P, Smolen J, Behrens F, Nash P, Liu Leage S, Lignan L, et al. MULTICENTRE, randomised, open-label, assesor-blinded, parallel-group head-to-head comparison of the efficacy and safety of ixekizumab versus adalimumab in patients with psoriatric arthritis naive to biologic disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs: 24-week results. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2019; Volume 78(supplement 2, year 2019, page A261).
42. Deodhar A, Gottlieb AB, Boehncke WH, Dong B, Wang Y, Zhuang Y, et al. Efficacy and safety of guselkumab in patients with active psoriatic arthritis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 study. Lancet. 2018 Jun 2; 391(10136):2213–2224.
43. Mease P, Kellner H, Morita A, Kivitz A, Papp K, Aslanyan S, et al. Efficacy and safety results from a phase 2 trial of risankizumab, a selective IL-23p19 inhibitor, in patients with active psoriatic arthritis (abstract). 2017; Ann Rheum Dis(69 (suppl 10)).
44. Blauvelt A, Papp KA, Griffiths CE, Randazzo B, Wasfi Y, Shen YK, et al. Efficacy and safety of guselkumab, an anti-interleukin-23 monoclonal antibody, compared with adalimumab for the continuous treatment of patients with moderate to severe psoriasis: Results from the phase III, double-blinded, placebo- and active comparator-controlled VOYAGE 1 trial. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2017 Mar; 76(3):405–417.
45. Langley RG, Tsai TF, Flavin S, Song M, Randazzo B, Wasfi Y, et al. Efficacy and safety of guselkumab in patients with psoriasis who have an inadequate response to ustekinumab: results of the randomized, double-blind, phase III NAVIGATE trial. The British journal of dermatology. 2018 Jan; 178(1):114–123.
46. Papp KA, Blauvelt A, Bukhalo M, Gooderham M, Krueger JG, Lacour JP, et al. Risankizumab versus Ustekinumab for Moderate-to-Severe Plaque Psoriasis. The New England journal of medicine. 2017 Apr 20; 376(16):1551–1560.
47. Reich K, Papp KA, Blauvelt A, Tyring SK, Sinclair R, Thaci D, et al. Tildrakizumab versus placebo or etanercept for chronic plaque psoriasis (reSURFACE 1 and reSURFACE 2): results from two randomised controlled, phase 3 trials. Lancet. 2017 Jul 15; 390(10091):276–288.
48. Mease PJ, Gottlieb AB, van der Heijde D, FitzGerald O, Johnsen A, Nys M, et al. Efficacy and safety of abatacept, a T-cell modulator, in a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III study in psoriatic arthritis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2017 Sep; 76(9):1550–1558.
49. Schwartz DM, Bonelli M, Gadina M, O'Shea JJ. Type I/II cytokines, JAKs, and new strategies for treating autoimmune diseases. Nature reviews Rheumatology. 2016 Jan; 12(1):25–36.
50. Mease P, Hall S, FitzGerald O, van der Heijde D, Merola JF, Avila-Zapata F, et al. Tofacitinib or Adalimumab versus Placebo for Psoriatic Arthritis. The New England journal of medicine. 2017 Oct 19; 377(16):1537–1550.
51. Gladman D, Rigby W, Azevedo VF, Behrens F, Blanco R, Kaszuba A, et al. Tofacitinib for Psoriatic Arthritis in Patients with an Inadequate Response to TNF Inhibitors. The New England journal of medicine. 2017 Oct 19; 377(16):1525–1536.
52. Gilead Sciences I. Gilead and Galapagos Announce Results With Filgotinib in the Phase 2 Equator Study in Psoriatic Arthritis and Progression Into Phase 3 for the Selection Study in Ulcerative Colitis. 2018 30.05.2018 [cited 06.08.2018].
53. Pathan E, Abraham S, Van Rossen E, Withrington R, Keat A, Charles PJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of apremilast, an oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor, in ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Sep 1; 72(9):1475–1480.
54. Gladman DD, Kavanaugh A, Gomez-Reino JJ, Wollenhaupt J, Cutolo M, Schett G, et al. Therapeutic benefit of apremilast on enthesitis and dactylitis in patients with psoriatic arthritis: a pooled analysis of the PALACE 1-3 studies. RMD open. 2018; 4(1):e000669.
55. Nash P, Ohson K, Walsh J, Delev N, Nguyen D, Teng L, et al. Early and sustained efficacy with apremilast monotherapy in biological-naive patients with psoriatic arthritis: a phase IIIB, randomised controlled trial (ACTIVE). Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2018 May; 77(5):690–698.
56. Mease PJ, Genovese MC, Weinblatt ME, Peloso PM, Chen K, Othman AA, et al. Phase 2 Study of ABT-122, a TNF- and IL-17A-Targeted Dual Variable Domain Immunoglobulin, in Psoriatic Arthritis With Inadequate Methotrexate Response. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2018 May 31.
57. Genovese MC, Weinblatt ME, Mease PJ, Aelion JA, Peloso PM, Chen K, et al. Dual inhibition of tumour necrosis factor and interleukin-17A with ABT-122: open-label long-term extension studies in rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatology. 2018 Jul 18.
58. Kaltwasser JP, Nash P, Gladman D, Rosen CF, Behrens F, Jones P, et al. Efficacy and safety of leflunomide in the treatment of psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis: a multinational, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Arthritis and rheumatism. 2004 Jun; 50(6):1939–1950.
59. Kingsley GH, Kowalczyk A, Taylor H, Ibrahim F, Packham JC, McHugh NJ, et al. A randomized placebo-controlled trial of methotrexate in psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatology. 2012 Aug; 51(8):1368–1377.
60. Elmamoun M, Chandran V. Role of Methotrexate in the Management of Psoriatic Arthritis. Drugs. 2018 Apr; 78(6):611–619.
61. Mease PJ, Gladman DD, Samad AS, Coates LC, Liu LXH, Aras GA, et al. Design and rationale of the Study of Etanercept and Methotrexate in Combination or as Monotherapy in Subjects with Psoriatic Arthritis (SEAM-PsA). RMD open. 2018; 4(1):e000606.
62. Mease PJ, Gladman DD, Collier DH, Ritchlin CT, Helliwell PS, Liu L, et al. Etanercept and Methotrexate as Monotherapy or in Combination for Psoriatic Arthritis: Primary Results From a Randomized, Controlled Phase III Trial. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2019 Jul; 71(7):1112–1124.
63. Kaushik SB, Lebwohl MG. CME Part II Psoriasis: which therapy for which patient focus on special populations and chronic infections. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Jul 11.
64. Clowse MEB, Scheuerle AE, Chambers C, Afzali A, Kimball AB, Cush JJ, et al. Pregnancy Outcomes After Exposure to Certolizumab Pegol: Updated Results From a Pharmacovigilance Safety Database. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2018 Apr 5.
65. Mariette X, Forger F, Abraham B, Flynn AD, Molto A, Flipo RM, et al. Lack of placental transfer of certolizumab pegol during pregnancy: results from CRIB, a prospective, postmarketing, pharmacokinetic study. Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2018 Feb; 77(2):228–233.